Formal Hall (sometimes known as Guest Night at other Colleges) offers a chance to get together with friends and colleagues to enjoy a beautifully prepared meal in the relaxing surroundings of Linacre College. Members are encouraged to invite guests, especially from other colleges, though this is not obligatory. Formal Hall refers to the structure of the evening rather than the atmosphere; there is no formal dress code.
Please note that you need to book onto Formal Hall by 9am on the proceeding Monday on the Linacre College website. Unfortunately, Formal Hall will be cancelled if fewer than 20 people sign-up in any week.
Terms and Conditions
Dinner Served: 19:30
Location: Linacre College Main Dining Hall
Dress code: Smart casual; Gowns are optional
Catering: Trinity Term weeks 2,4 and 8, 3-course meal,
Week 6, 4-courses - Halfway Hall
Cost: £11.75 for Reuben students and £16.25 for guests
The Reuben Grace
The Reuben Grace is read at the beginning of every Formal Hall meal and is delivered in the home language of the speaker. Anyone wishing to say the Grace on a particular evening is asked to contact email@example.com, and the participation of Fellows and students in this distinctively Reuben tradition, is a cherished part of our Formal Hall experience.
In English, the Reuben Grace reads:
For the meal we are about to eat,
for those that made it possible,
and for those with whom we are about to share it,
we are thankful.
Notes to Remember
- If you wish you sit near your guests, please arrive for 19:15 and secure a seat. Most spaces are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- You must add your guests’ full name and dietary requirements at the time of booking. Any entries that are not filled correctly may not be accepted.
- If you have stated a dietary requirement, please make yourself known to a member of the team to issue you a meal card to be placed in front of you when seated. Late dietary requests may not be accommodated.
- If you are not able to attend once you have signed up then please cancel before the closing time. Any changes after this time may still be charged.
- Wine is not included. Please bring your own wine or alcohol, if desired.
- Coffee will normally be available in the Nadel Room after dinner.
- Senior Table: Occasionally, when for example the President or a Fellow brings in distinguished guests, one table may be set aside for reserved seating.
Any questions on bookings logistics can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or on College policies to email@example.com
Book for Formal Hall